It’s that time again: back to school, Friday Night Football and hanging out with friends from school.
Arkansas High was in the late 70s when I was in high school. Yes, I am giving away my age. We had many places to hang out after a game or weekend.
One of my favorite places to hang out was cruising to Lake Texarkana, now Wright Patman Lake, to a beach area called Crippled Children’s Landing. My friends and I would cruise around in circles there almost every weekend. It wasn’t hard to entertain us back then. After all, there were no cell phones back then. Only 8-track tapes and cassettes.
I asked my friends, many years ago, about their favorite hangouts from high school. The responses brought back many memories and some laughs.
Here are some responses that I received. I won’t name my friends, just their comments. These were places from the 1970s.
1. We hung out at the Safeway Parking Lot at Summerhill Road & West 40th Street.
2. The Tastee Freeze and an older gas station are located at the corner Summerhill and College Drive.
3. We ran the Wamba Shuffle on Waterworks Lake, now known as Bringle Lake.
4. Sometimes, we just wanted to hang out at Spring Lake Park and cruise in circles over and over.
5. We would go to Crystal Springs in Maud on weekends, especially during the summer.
6. We used to hang out at the A&P Parking Lot, which was a grocery shop in case you were wondering. There were many in the Texarkana vicinity back then.
7. Many of us would like to hang out in the Summerhill Skating Rink’s parking lot.
8. Some of us would prefer to just stay in the Texas High parking garage.
9. Many of my friends would gather at the Arkansas High parking lot.
10. If we really wanted to be adventurous, we would go up to Little Missouri Falls during the summer camp season just to climb the winding staircase.
It was simpler back then, and not as dangerous as today. Many of you have shared your favorite spots over the years. Facebook page.